Monday, November 30, 2015

RUNNING

Today I did something I've been wanting to do for a really long time, but never thought I'd be able to. I went for a run.

Well, kind of.

At my current weight (well, at any weight honestly), running is pretty damn hard. It's a full body activity that requires a lot of stamina and endurance. Neither of which I have. Soooo...I signed up for a program called Couch to 5K, which does exactly what it sounds like. It takes a non runner (who spends a whole lot of time on the couch) and trains them in small increments until they're able to run a 5k (just over three miles).

I downloaded the app a few weeks ago, but tonight was the first night I really went for it. After being sidelined for the weekend with a knock out cold, I was feeling restless and excited about doing something challenging. The other night, I was telling my friend about how I wanted to start it, but I was nervous and feeling slightly unable, when miraculously, someone overheard us (we were in the women's bathroom at a birthday party) and chimed in that she had started the program a year ago and had just signed up for her first half marathon. She said both she and her friend had done it together, and her friend had lost 117 lbs and counting. I took that as a sign. That out of all people to chime also be using the bathroom at that particular moment, this girl knew someone who'd lost over 100 lbs doing the program I was contemplating doing.

So, tonight, after being a chicken all day and putting it off until the sun was setting - I went to the Silverlake Loop I walk almost every day, constantly admiring the super in shape runners, and...I pressed go on my app. It was remarkably more doable than I thought it would be. Jogging for one minute, then walking for a minute and a half. On and off for 30 mins. There was never a point I thought I couldn't make it anymore. In fact, the only thing that really slowed me down was Rory. Turns out she's not much of a runner (and she's now exhausted...look at this tired puppy).

Mom, I can't believe you thought I could run.
I hate you. Let me sleep forever now.
But beside Rory's glacial pace (to be fair she does have incredibly stubby legs), I found myself feeling invigorated. Turns out...I really really like running. I say this now, on my first day, I know. But. Part of me was prepared to try it out, hate it, and give it up immediately. And I'm relieved and grateful that it's something I want to continue with. And not just because at the end of each work out it gives me a congratulations screen with a trophy (although it's pretty awesome).

This is my first post-run face. Isn't it pretty?
In all seriousness. I'm excited to see where this goes. Finding a new activity I enjoy has seemed fruitless since I stopped going to the gym, and maybe I'm just filled with endorphins and on a running high, but...I'm hopeful that one day I'll be running the entire loop comfortably with all the other runners and feeling like I belong.

Happy Monday, y'all. And let's keep doing this.

No comments:

Post a Comment